Friday, November 20, 2009

Foodie Friday

Thank you for all the kind comments everyone has left concerning my dad. As of last night when I left the hospital he had not changed much. He is still in the ICU and unable to swallow or move his left side. He is talking and has a sense of humor. We will continue to pray for his quick recovery.

Here is a new recipe that my daughter and I tried this week for breakfast cookies. We made some substitutions to make it a bit healthier. I had issues with feeding my kids cookies for breakfast even if the title said "breakfast."

Breakfast Cookies

1 cup applesauce (originally butter)
1/2 cup honey (originally 3/4 c)
2 eggs
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla ( I was out)
1/2 buttermilk (I had to use whole milk and vinegar)
2 cups oats
2 c whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons ground flax seed (Not in original recipe)
1 cup raisins, dried fruit, or chocolate chips (I used 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips)

Mix everything together and place heaping tablespoons onto a cookie sheet. Cook at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

The verdict- Not too bad. Definitely not a rich, chocolate cookie, but a great breakfast. My kids have really enjoyed them. I like the fact that they are packed with fiber, protein, and a little chocolate :)

I am having trouble getting Mr Linky to cooperate. Please feel free to leave a comment below with any recipes, food ideas, or any great finds you bought this week. Include a link for others if you have it posted on your blog.

Hopefully in the next couple of days I can get back to regular posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment