Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dinner Time At Our House

The deals have been a bit slow this week and my children have kept me very busy. My almost 5 month old has decided that napping is not much fun. I thought you might be interested in seeing a couple of meals that we have had in the last couple of weeks.

The above photo is a dinner I fixed for my family. We are trying to eat less meat and more produce. This meal consisted of homemade hummus, homemade cheese crackers, snap peas from in-laws garden, carrots, and cucumber slices. The protein in the hummus and cheese helps to keep us full longer. I really thought I would be starving a couple hours after eating this, but I was surprised when I was still happily full later. My kids really love it when I make the cheese crackers. Lately we have been having this meal about once a week. It is a good way to use up all the yummy homegrown veggies.
This pasta dish is one my husband made when we were in a hurry and did not have time to defrost and cook meat. He cooked some whole wheat pasta and added some fresh spinach and onion and then some frozen bell peppers. He spiced it up with some fresh chopped garlic, sea salt, and olive oil. I ended up adding some crushed red pepper to mine. The kids liked the pasta, but were not too excited about the veggies.

I am not going to lie and tell you that my kids love these meals and eat all their veggies. They often complain, but we keep serving them and try to be good examples. They do have to at least try a bite or two. I figure if they keep trying them they will eventually decide they are not that bad.

What meals have you and your family been eating lately? How are you using all the delicious fresh produce that is available right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment