Monday, May 24, 2010

Fun Birthday Food Without Artificial Colors




I guess from the comments I received from my last post I will continue with this blog. I am aiming to update once or twice a week as suggested by a commentor. We will have to see where things go from there. I also was talking with one of the moms from my daughter's preschool and she was commenting on how expensive it is to eat healthy. She loved the idea of this blog and urged me to continue. I am planning to take it slow and not stress if I am not keeping up with my planned schedule.

All that said I ran across a really great idea from Martha Stewart for cupcake icing and ice cream syrup that is made with fruit and herbs. My daughters birthday is in a couple of weeks and I was cringing at the idea of making her a cake full of artificial colors. I now have green, purple, and pink colors ready to test out tonight to see what we think. I wish I had taken pictures of the process, but I did not decide to post about it until after I had it all made. I will try to get some pictures of the finished product and post them later.

Basically what I did was cook up some blueberries, strawberries, and some chocolate mint leaves and add them to a simple sugar solution. They are all really yummy. After straining them through a towel I now have 3 colors to make icing or pink, purple, or green "cows." (brown cow ice cream)

I would love to post the actual recipe, but since it is copyrighted I will just have to send you to the link to check it out for yourselves.

I could not locate the link to the icing, but basically all you do is add powdered sugar to the syrup until it is the consistency of honey. Dip the cupcake in it and you are done.

I am still searching for a good cake recipe. If anyone has one let me know.

4 comments:

  1. My daughter just turned two, and I made carrot muffins and frosted them with cream cheese icing and, tada, cupcakes! They were so good, and a big hit with the guests.

    http://www.fairhopefoodie.com/2010/03/awesome-carrot-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I am always looking for new ways to make "artificial" things on my own and will try this soon. I love your blog by the way! I also read about your contemplating not writing anymore but am really happy you decided to stay! We seem to have a lot of common interests and I would love to be able to swap deals and ideas with you!
    I am just starting out and got really overwhelmed and "lost" in cyberspace very often. I made some ground rules for myself so my blog didn't interfere with my children during the day and my husband in the evening. Everyone is much happier now=) Looking forward to blogging with you!
    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back!
    Great idea with the frosting. I would love to be able to have a cake with no artificial colors. Hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a applesauce carrot cake for my daughter's first birthday and we still have relatives talking about it. NO ONE knew there was carrots in there since I completely shred them, not just grated like some recipes call for. It was similar to this one: http://www.squidoo.com/carrot-cake-recipes#module12783860 but the one I used is no longer online :( and I KNOW it used a LOT less sugar but no whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete