Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Many Uses Of Coconut Oil



Since I wrote a post yesterday on homemade deodorant and I was wanting to write one on homemade sunscreen (coconut oil) I figured I might as well tell you about all the uses I know of so far for this versatile oil. Not only is it very healthy for you to use in recipes, but it also has many cosmetic uses.


Here is a list of what I have researched so far...

Deodorant-See my post on this here.

Hair gel- Just use it straight out of the jar. I have been told this works really well on curly hair. Someone will have to tell me if this really works since I have very straight hair.

Hair conditioner- Again use it straight out of the jar.

Acne cream- I had a reader suggest this one to me. I have to admit that even at nearly 30 I still have issues with pimples. I was told that this will help dry them out quickly. I was a bit skeptical since it is an oil. How could an oil dry something out? Well I tried and guess what? It really does work.

Sunscreen- Islanders have been using coconut oil for years as a natural sunscreen. This is one I plan to try this summer. I have a lot of issues with applying chemicals to my babies to protect them from sunburns. Even the organic and natural brands still make nervous. Hopefully this works.

Toothpaste- You can check out Lindsey's recipe for this here. I have not been brave enough to try it yet. I still have a couple tubes of Nature's Gate toothpaste that I bought using Swagbucks. Maybe I will have to try this one sometime.

Lotion- You can add shea butter to coconut oil to make a great lotion or just use it by itself. I have been using coconut oil on my 2 year to treat eczema. For a long time it was the only thing that did not make him scream.

Facial moisturizer- Apply just as you would any moisturizer.

Diaper rash cream- I found the original recipe for this at Passionate Homemaking. You can check out my post on it here.

Don't forget all the great ways this oil can be used in cooking. You can use it to replace butter when baking, in popcorn, as a spread on bread, and in oatmeal. While researching for this post I ran across this article on the benefits of coconut oil. It was quite interesting.

I know that there are tons of blogs right now that can show you how to buy all of the above listed products for cheap or even free, but at what cost to your body? I will admit that I have used coupons to get things for free, but after reading the ingredient list I decided to try and look for alternatives. The only problem was that organic and natural products are very expensive. I still buy them when I can find them on sale or I have coupons for the natural brands, but when I am unable to afford them coconut oil is a great alternative. It is cheap and good for you.

So where is the best place to find coconut oil? I have used spectrum brand in the past, but have lately been using Nutiva. Right now you can get 2 jars on Amazon for around $13. This is a great price.

It might be cheaper to buy it in bulk from Azure Standard or Mountain Rose Herb if you can find someone willing to split it with you.

I would caution you not to buy the cheap stuff you can buy at Walmart or other grocery stores. It is not the same and it contains additives.

Isn't it amazing how our Lord provides us with one product that can be used in so many ways and only cost us pennies per use?

No comments:

Post a Comment