Thursday, June 3, 2010

Chocolate Fruit and Nut Balls/Bars



We are having a garage sale at my brother's house this morning and tomorrow so I will not be around much. Here is a recipe that I had ready to go. When I get a free minute I will add the pictures.

Last week I mentioned that we ate Earth Balls for breakfast. I decided that I would go ahead and post my variation on these. They are really yummy and rarely last longer then a day at my house. The original recipe is from the vegan blog Green and Crunchy. I don't always measure things when I am cooking so I can not give exact measurements. This recipe is really better if you just eye ball it. It is really a matter of preference anyway as to how sticky you want your balls.

Chocolate Fruit and Nut Balls (or bars)

1 cup almonds
1 cup walnuts (any combination of nuts will work)
1/4 - 1/3 cup peanut or almond butter
1 Tablespoon organic cocoa
1 Tablespoon chia seeds
1 Tablespoon flax seeds
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
4-5 pitted dates (enough to make the mixture sticky)
enough maple syrup to make the mixture stick together

Place the nuts in a food processor and blend until they create a fine meal.
Add seeds and nut butter and blend again
Add dates and maple syrup to food processor and blend until a dough starts to form.
Dump the mixture into a pan and form into bars or roll into balls
They are ready to eat.
We store our in the fridge so they harden a bit and are easier to handle.

The great thing about this recipe is you can be very creative and customize it to what you have on hand. Try adding different nuts and seeds or different fruits such as goji berries or other dried fruits.

We like to eat these for breakfast along with some fruit. They are very high in protein and nutrients that keep us full all morning.

1 comment:

  1. mmm...sounds so yummy! Thanks for the variation. I can't wait to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete