Monday, January 26, 2015

My Favorite Gluten Free Flour Blend

We had to take my 7 year old off of gluten about a year and a half ago. I have been slowly learning to cook with various gluten free flours, but have had a lot of hit and miss recipes. My little guy is so sweet and usually eats whatever I make for him, but one of my children hates most gluten free breads. I kept trying new flour blends and I think I finally have a winner!! I have been using this blend for about a month now and last night I made pancakes with it. My child who does not like gluten free bread actually loved them. I guess I finally have something that works.

I am also excited about this recipe because most pre-mixed gluten free flours are SO expensive! This one is a lot cheaper.

I basically took a recipe I found on the web and tweaked it to use what flours I had on hand.

Basic Gluten Free Flour

1 cup White Rice Flour
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup sweet sorghum flour
1 cup potato starch (must be starch)
1 Tablespoon xanthum gum

Mix everything together and use 1 for 1 in replacement of regular flour in your recipes. I have had success with muffins and pancakes so far. I am planning to try baking a loaf of bread soon. I will let you know how it turns out.

If you want to get all your ingredients online Amazon is a great place to start or you can try to find them cheaper in bulk at a natural food store. Another great option is Azure Standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment